Friday, July 9, 2010

Mattis Chosen to Head U.S. Central Command

General James Mattis, the blunt yet brilliant four star, has been chosen to head CENTCOM, or U.S. Central Command.  This will place him in charge of all U.S. forces in Iraq and Afghanistan, effectively making him General Petraeus' boss.  (Article here)

Mattis is, hands down, my favorite General.  He is a warrior first, politician last, and doesn't bother to sugar-coat anything.   Here's one of my favorite quotes (to Iraqi tribal leaders): 
"I come in peace; I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you fu*k with me, I'll kill you all."
Some would argue that Mattis is a little rough and unrefined; I disagree with that description.  He is mentally sharp, well educated, articulate, and aggressive.  He's well suited to take the fight to the enemy, which is exactly what our nation is crying out for.

Congratulations to General Mattis; may much kicking of ass follow the appointment.

8 comments:

cary said...

Good choice for a true leader in that area.

Maybe now the tide will turn, the ROEs will change, our men will finally have a true fighting chance!

Sue said...

"may much kicking of ass follow the appointment." - Absolutely!!!

Elaina said...

I was kind of hoping he'd be in Afghanistan. But I'm pleasantly surprised that he's going to be at CENTCOM. That is also one of my favorite Mattis quotes.

A close friend served under him when he was a battalion commander and again when he was Regimental commander. And I was happy to hear that what you see is what you get with him.

Refreshing to know that there are still guys like him out there who aren't politicians. Which takes me back to my reason for being pleasantly surprised he'll be at CENTCOM.

Bushwack said...

I like this guy, which makes this prediction sad.
I predict he will be relived of duty within the first year. He is a warrior, he's a man that will take the fight to the enemy in a very direct way. That alone will be enough for Obama to have him removed.

Right now we have a lamb in charge. We have a congress that is scared of it's far liberpuke base so the first "TRUTH" Mattis speaks will be met with ire not respect.

I wish the man luck, and I hope in 2012, we can give him a CIC with some common sense and some nuts.

TexasFred said...

Officers like him are not welcome in todays nicer, milder, more politically correct military...

He is MY kind of leader, that alone makes him undesireable in todays military...

Gary said...

I don't get it... His mere existence is cross-ways with his boss. All it'll take is one 'Mr President, you can shove it up your...' and he'll be looking at a tasty retirement.

I'm glad he's driving, but don't see his tenure as long lived with the weak willy leadership of this administration.

Good hunting General, while it's still hunting season.

Just John said...

@All: I disagree with the overall flow of some of your comments; I think General Mattis will do quite well, despite his obvious dislike of politics. Well, at least I think he won't be overwhelmed by the depth of the water in the political pool. He's extremely savvy when it comes to the political environ. I'm reminded of the scene in the movie Quigley Down Under, when Tom Selleck easily defeats the bad guy in a gunfight with a pistol. The bad guy looks absolutely flabbergasted that Quigley beat him, and Quigley responds with, "I never said I couldn't use one, I just said I don't like 'em."

kris said...

lol nice to put a face to one of my favorite quotes!