Saturday, November 6, 2010

Woes of a Teacher

One of my favorite cousins is a teacher.  I think being a teacher is one of the most thankless jobs that you could possibly have.  To make matters worse, she actually cares about the kids that she's teaching.  Can you place a dollar amount on that?


She expressed some distress about the fact that a couple of her kids wouldn't stand up during the Pledge of Allegiance.  She then went on to express her distress over the school's focus on nothing but test scores.  Don't get me started!  I admire her patience for not smacking those kids or, more appropriately, their parents.

I don't have ANY sympathy for a school district that focuses more on test scores than it does on the kids and teachers in their charge.  My cousin sarcastically asked something along the lines of, "You don't do your homework or study for anything but I'm held accountable for your test scores?"  I shout a hearty WTF on that one! 


I shake my head in disgust at the piss-poor excuses for parents that keep sending their offspring into our government de-tuned schools.  I feel bad for the teachers that care; they get shat upon on a daily basis.  To my cousin:  Hang in there and keep making a difference!

No comments: