Friday, February 7, 2014

Things from My Childhood 3: Stealing a Sip

When I was a kid, my dad was a beer drinker.  He would have a couple of beers on the weekend, and often would place a partial can in our refrigerator while he attended to other things.  

When I got to be 12 or so, I would occasionally sneak a sip of those open cans of beer.  I thought I was pretty slick, and it was just a sip. 

One evening, I had dish duty after supper.  My mom had made something fried and, as usual, she had drained the grease from the skillet into a can.  I just didn't know which can...

While doing the dishes, I took a break and decided to take a quick sip of the open beer can that was in the fridge.  I tilted the can back to take a healthy slug, and had to fight the urge to gag as I realized that my mom had drained the grease from the skillet into a beer can, and placed it into the refrigerator to cool.  Yuck!

I didn't tell Mom or Dad about that, so I'm sure they'll laugh when they read this.  God is always watching, even when your parents are not.

5 comments:

Dan O. said...

Funny right there.

My dad used to keep a case of Duke Ale in the basement and just bring up 3 or 4 bottles at a time to put in the fridge. I occasionally would drink one then exchange the empty in the case. That may give you a hint on how old I am. There was a deposit on the bottles back then.

P.S. Glad to see you post again , John. Almost removed you from my a feed reader a day or two ago.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful to 'hear' from you again. I'm enjoying reading about your childhood.

Just John said...

Thanks! I just got back from Afghanistan, so my blog sat dormant for the last seven months.

Anonymous said...

Welcome home (again) and thank you!

Dan O. said...

Welcome home. I thought you were done w/ deployments once you moved back stateside. Happy for your safe return.